- Co-Editor of Mashable
- Pro to the question "Are Social Networking Sites Good for Our Society?"
“With the Iranian government clamping down on information and enforcing censorship [during protests of the Iranian presidential election in June 2009], Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, and YouTube became the primary mediums for bringing information out of the conflicted nation and spreading notes between dissidents… Twitter’s role was so important in fact that the US government got involved in scheduling Twitter’s downtime…
After a magnitude 7.0 earthquake (and multiple aftershocks) devastated the nation of Haiti [on Jan. 12, 2010], social media became the medium in which everybody spread the word. Dramatic Haiti earthquake Twitter pictures swept across the web, while tech giants mobilized. The most impressive part of social media’s impact on Haiti has to be the charity text message campaign that has already raised more than $10 million for Haiti victim relief. Social media spread the word, technology made it possible…
Real-time communication platforms like Twitter and Facebook have spread the word about what’s happening within these nations, long before the mainstream media prints the story. These tools have also created a level awareness we’ve never seen before.”
“Social Media’s True Impact on Haiti, China, and the World,” Mashable.com, Jan. 20, 2010
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Co-Editor, Mashable, Sep. 2009-present
- Associate Editor, Mashable, Mar. 2009-Sep. 2009
- Writer/Contributor, Mashable, Aug. 2008-Mar. 2009
- Interactive Content Manager, Spine-health.com, June 2008-Mar. 2009
- Project Management and Promotion, Free Lunch Inc., Apr. 2008-June 2008
- Community Assistant, Northwestern University, Sep. 2006-Mar. 2008
- Co-Founder, Aphon Inc., Apr. 2007-Sep. 2007
- Paid intern, Congressman Jerry Weller, US House of Representatives, June 2005-Aug. 2005
- BA, Science in Human Culture, Political Science, and Business, Northwestern University, 2008
- Wrote a science fiction novel titled Desel
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Are Social Networking Sites Good for Our Society?