- Founding Director of PREPARED Center for Emergency Response Research at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
- Pro to the question "Are Social Networking Sites Good for Our Society?"
“Social media offer an accessible, widely available means for a bi-directional flow of information between the public and the authorities. In the crisis, all emergency responders used and leveraged social media networks for communicating both with the public and among themselves…
In recent years, the social media, and especially Twitter, have emerged as important, near real-time communication channels and technologies during emergency response. Social media consist of tools that enable open and online exchange of information through conversation, interaction and exchange of user generated content…
The different social media channels have become an integral tool in the response of official authorities and the general public to emergency situations.”
Cowritten with Tomer Simon, Avishay Goldberg, Dmitry Leykin, and Bruria Adini, “Twitter in the Cross Fire – The Use of Social Media in the Westgate Mall Terror Attack in Kenya,” PLoS ONE, Aug. 25, 2014
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs, MDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to social media. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to social media.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Founding Director, PREPARED Center for Emergency Response Research, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
- Head, Recanti Department of Emergency Medicine, Ben Gurion University of the Negev (Israel), June 2011-present
- Founder and Co-Chair, Conjoint Community Resiliency Assessment Collaboration, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
- Associate Professor, Recanti Department for Emergency Medicine, Ben Gurion University of the Negev
- Professor, The Leon and Matilda Recanati School for Community Health Professions, Ben Gurion University of the Negev
- Deputy Director, Israeli National Center for Trauma and Emergency Medicine Research, Gertner Institute for Epidemiology and Health Policy Research
- PhD, Community Medicine, University of Hong Kong, 1996
- BSc, Statistics, Tel Aviv University (Israel), 1986
- Was born in Israel in 1963
- Member, International Collaborative Effort (ICE) on Injury Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Member, World Association of Disaster and Emergency Medicine (WADEM)
- Member, American Public Health Association (APHA) Injury Control and Emergency Health Services (ICEHS) section
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Are Social Networking Sites Good for Our Society?