- Development Director at Social Spider CIC
- Pro to the question "Are Social Networking Sites Good for Our Society?"
“[S]ocial media are inexpensive and easy to use. They signify a trend towards more interaction whereby people create as well as consume content. It is possible to share stories, produce other content and influence the media environment…
A striking aspect of social media sites such as Twitter is that a spontaneous burst of protest can be initiated by one individual in a single post and widely shared… [S]haring experiences and having one’s voice heard on social channels can create a sense of empowerment – of feeling less alone with a personal struggle, and more confidence in showing a part of the self that might usually remain hidden.”
Cowritten with Victoria Betton, Rohan Borschmann, Mary Docherty, Stephen Coleman, and Claire Henderson, “The Role of Social Media in Reducing Stigma and Discrimination,” British Journal of Psychiatry, June 2015
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Development Director, Social Spider CIC (UK), May 2006-present
- Support Staff, The Right Here Project, Paul Hamlyn Foundation and Mental Health Foundation (UK), 2012-2014
- Founding Editor, One in Four magazine, Feb. 2006-May 2014
- Editor, ABCtales.com, Burgeon Creative Ideas Ltd, Apr. 2003-May 2006
- Volunteer, Community Service Volunteers (CSV), 1998
- Former Community Support Worker, Bridge Centre, Surrey County Council (UK)
- Studied English and history at Goldsmiths College, University of London (UK)
- Twitter handle: @MarkOneinFour
- Blogs at thenewmentalhealth.org
- Speaker, NHS Innovation in Health Care Expo, 2014
- Helped create the Doc Ready webapp, which helps prepare young people for their first visit to a GP to discuss mental health issues. The webapp went live in Sep. 2013.
- Keynote Speaker, Richmond Fellowship Asia Pacific Conference on Mental Health (Australia), 2012
- Was named one of Community Care Magazine’s Top 100 Social Care Tweeters, 2011
- Was shortlisted for the Mind Champion of the Year Award, 2010
- Was diagnosed with bipolar II disorder in his early 20s
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Are Social Networking Sites Good for Our Society?