- Karl E Weick Collegiate Professor of Information and Professor of Information in the School of Information at the University of Michigan
- Pro to the question "Are Social Networking Sites Good for Our Society?"
“I believe the benefits provided by social network sites such as Facebook have made us better off as a society and as individuals, and that, as they continue to be adopted by more diverse populations, we will see an increase in their utility. Anecdotal evidence of positive outcomes from these technologies — such as political activities organized via Facebook or jobs found through LinkedIn — is well-known, but now a growing corpus of academic research on social networks sites supports this view as well.”
“Is MySpace Good for Society? A Freakonomics Quorum,” Freakonomics blog, New York Times website, Feb. 15, 2008
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs, MDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to social media. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to social media.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Karl E Weick Collegiate Professor of Information and Professor of Information, School of Information, University of Michigan
- Former Assistant Professor of Telecommunication, Information Studies, and Media, Michigan State University, Sep. 2004-present
- Member, EDUCAUSE [not an acronym]
- Assistant Professor, California State University at Stanislaus, Jan. 2002-May 2004
- Senior Experience Modeler, Sapient Corporation, June 2000-July 2001
- Senior Producer and Editor, Surfmonkey.com, Oct. 1999-June 2000
- Graduate student research assistant, University of Southern California, 1995-1999
- Software production assistant, Voyager Company, 1993-1994
- PhD, Annenberg School for Communication, University of Southern California (USC), 1999
- MA, Annenberg School for Communication, University of Southern California, 1998
- BA, cum laude, English, Barnard College, Columbia University, 1991
- None found
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Are Social Networking Sites Good for Our Society?