- mHabitat Programme Director at Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Pro to the question "Are Social Networking Sites Good for Our Society?"
“[S]ocial media are inexpensive and easy to use. They signify a trend towards more interaction whereby people create as well as consume content. It is possible to share stories, produce other content and influence the media environment…
A striking aspect of social media sites such as Twitter is that a spontaneous burst of protest can be initiated by one individual in a single post and widely shared… [S]haring experiences and having one’s voice heard on social channels can create a sense of empowerment – of feeling less alone with a personal struggle, and more confidence in showing a part of the self that might usually remain hidden.”
Cowritten with Rohan Borschmann, Mary Docherty, Stephen Coleman, Mark Brown, and Claire Henderson, “The Role of Social Media in Reducing Stigma and Discrimination,” British Journal of Psychiatry, June 2015
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs, MDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to social media. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to social media.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Programme Director, mHabitat, Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (UK), Dec. 2013-present
- Member, eHealth Board, Yorkshire and Humber Academic Health Science Network (UK), Jan. 2015-present
- Improvement Fellow, Yorkshire and Humber Improvement Fellows Academy (UK), Jan. 2014-present
- Member, External Relations Committee, Mind Charity (UK), Jan. 2013-present
- Deputy Director of Partnerships and Innovation, Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, Oct. 2002-Dec. 2013
- Public Involvement Manager, South West Yorkshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (UK), Oct. 2001-Oct. 2003
- PhD, Social Media and Mental Health, University of Leeds (UK), 2015
- MA, Social Work, University of York (UK), 1997
- MA, Women’s Studies, University of Bradford (UK), 1994
- BA, English Literature, University of Leeds (UK), 1991
- Twitter handle: @VictoriaBetton
- Runs the #TheProfileProject
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Are Social Networking Sites Good for Our Society?